Caregivers in Waukee, IA
As a caregiver it is inevitable that you will spend a considerable amount of time in your car. From traveling to and from your parents’ home, to commuting to work, to running errands, you may find yourself in your car for nearly as long during the day as you are not. Making sure your vehicle is fresh, clean, and welcoming makes these travels more comfortable and can help to ease your stress. By creating a peaceful environment in your car you give yourself a few moments of relaxation and revitalization every time you get inside.
One of the easiest ways to create a more calming and comfortable ride is homemade car fresheners. This simple project lets you quickly and easily customize the scent of your car for a soothing or energizing effect whenever you drive.
What You’ll Need
- Wool felt
- Essential oils in your favorite fragrances
- Sharp craft scissors
- Hole punch
- Strong string or twine
- Pencil or disappearing ink craft marker
What to Do
• Decide what shape you would like for your air freshener. Simple shapes are easiest to cut out
• Use the stencil and pencil or marker to draw the shape onto the wool felt of your choice of color. Look for wool felt as opposed to recycled plastic felt. The wool is thicker and more absorbent, meaning it will hold onto more of the essential oils, and is stronger so it will maintain its shape better when hung in your car
• Use the sharp craft scissors to cut out the shape
• Place the wool shape on a plate, newspaper, or other surface that will not be damaged by the oil
• Choose your favorite fragrance of essential oil or combination of fragrances. Peppermint is a popular choice because it is soothing while also stimulating your mind, helping to clear your thoughts and keep you more alert and awake while driving
• Drip the oils onto the wool shape, creating several spots of the oil along the shape. Add more oil than you think you will need because much of it will evaporate as it dries, leaving the fragrance fainter
• Leave the shape out for approximately 24 hours to allow the oil to absorb into the wool. If you press where you put the oil you should still be able to release some of it from the shape. If not, there is not enough and you should add a few extra drops
• Use the hole punch to make a hole at the top of the shape
• Thread a long piece of the string or twine through the hole and tie a knot to create a loop so you can hang the freshener from the rearview mirror
The fragrance will last for several weeks, but when it fades all you have to do is add more oil and it will be ready to go again. Try making different shapes out of different colors of felt to coordinate with a variety of oil combinations so you can change up the scent of your vehicle depending on the season.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care services, please contact the caring staff at TRUMARK HomeCare of Des Moines, IA. Call today: (515) 619-5225.